The Sparks After School Programme takes place on Mondays and Tuesdays. The courses run for 10 weeks and cost €80. The courses are offered in two terms: September 2016 and January 2017. The next term of Sparks begins on Monday 26th September 2016.
Sparks Programme activities provide children with a fun, supportive and stimulating environment to challenge and to develop their potential. All courses take place after school at Rockboro School. The Rockboro Sparks Programme has been developed and is run in partnership with UCC (University College Cork) and CTYI (Centre for Talented Youth in Ireland). The courses are suitable for 6 to 12 year olds and the programme is open to all primary school children from any school.
Sparks courses include fun and practical activities and are taught by qualified instructors. The following subjects are offered this year:
- Computer Animation: This course teaches teaches computer programming through the creation of basic programs, games and animation. The course is offered at both Beginner and Advanced levels. (Monday, 3-4pm and 4-5pm; Tuesday, 3-4pm and 4-5pm)
- Veterinary Science: What Medical Science is to humans, Veterinary Science is to animals! Veterinary Science prevents, diagnoses and treats animal diseases and other animal disorders. Learn all about domestic and wild animals. (Monday, 4-5pm)
- Eco Engineering: Environmental Engineering applies various scientific principles and ideas to help provide clean water, minimize pollution and improve the environment. Environmental engineers work in a number of areas that can relate to air pollution, waste disposal, recycling, global warming, water pollution and other environmental issues. (Monday, 4-5pm)
- Chess: Chess is one of the oldest games in the world and has been played since the 6th Century. Children learn strategies based on a fairly simple set of rules as well as problem-solving skills associated with these strategies. (Tuesday, 4-5pm)
- Robotics: A robotics engineer works behind the scenes and is responsible for creating robots and robotic systems that are able to perform tasks that humans are either unable or prefer not to perform. Through his or her creations, a robotics engineer helps to make jobs safer, easier and more efficient, particularly in the manufacturing industry. This course investigates the job of a robotics engineer through lessons and practical activities. (Tuesday, 4-5pm)
- Creative Writing: The Creative Writing Course is run by CTYI (Centre for Talented Youth in Ireland) and focuses on guiding children in creative written expression. The course will help children to plan storylines, develop characters, and revise and edit their work. (Tuesday, 4-5pm)
For more information about the Sparks Programme, please click on the Sparks Programme logo below.